http://offmyblog.blogspot.com/
http://zombie-slayer.blogspot.com/
http://zombielama.blogspot.com/
http://underachieverscorner.blogspot.com/
http://www.wayofsamurai.blogspot.com/
http://mustbetuesday.blogspot.com/
This one is an author I have really been impressed with.
http://victorialaurie.com/
Zombie Slayer & Zombie Lama are definitely entertaining and have rants that spark some rather interesting conversations. I would suggest checking them out.
Beyond that bit of extra light reading for your pleasure, not much else is going on. I managed to sleep last night, got my car back (for a mere $75). Sent off for my pseudo rebate from my car insurance since they could not find me a tow truck. Applied for another 3 jobs today. Set up 2 more appointments with lawyers to discuss bankruptcy options. Planning to treat my grumbling landlord exMi to take out from Vandy's B-B-Que tonight & maybe rent a few action/adventure flicks as well. I think The Transporter, Man of the House, are 2 definite renters, though no idea what else I might get. If I get anything. Life is bumbling along.
About the only really exciting conversation going on now is the ongoing debate over sex in chick lit, romances, and the multi-genre romances like Laurell Hamilton & L.A. Banks.
Let me start off by saying that I am all for a good sex scene. They are a great supplement seeing as how my love life is best compared to a nun's. That really has never bothered me because I find the monastic life deeply intriguing. I just refuse to give up my bed or my cats, let alone my personal library. If I could find an order that would let me haul those 3 loves with me, then I'd join today. Since that is a true dream (and we all know how well those work out), I figure I will wait and not replace my cats until after I have joined an Augustine or Franciscan order and then figure out how to get my book fetish met and keep my nest. Who knows. None of this might ever happen and I might actually make something approaching a commitment to someone. I doubt it, but who knows?
And NO - no where in my future is anything close to reproduction in my future. Do you understand that exMI? And remember, I have the house keys. I am not above blackmail, tears, threats, or extreme hysteria to get my way. Under no circumstances will any I have children. If the hound DH has puppies, then we will call it even and have further evidence that tarot cards are accurate in screwy ways.
But getting back to the original point of this rambling, a lot of the books I have been reading from the chick lit area have lead female characters I just do NOT understand. I am including the Laurell Hamilton books and several of the supernatural/horror women authors out as well. I love the plots of these stories, but there is something about the concept of going out to a party, meeting a guy, barely getting their name, then going home with them and fucking that justs leaves me cold. It does not matter how well written a book is if that's is the level of stupidity the lead characters demonstrate. I don't care if that solves all sort of plot twist issues. There are better ways around it. All it does, for me at least, is make me pity the character and wonder how they could be so stupid. After all, there is no way anyone can tell what they are getting involved in by jumping in & out of the sack that easily. Then there is the safety question. How on earth can you trust someone after only maybe an hours question not to be an absolute lunatic who stalks small animals while singing nursery rhymes? Or someone who is in to needles or blood letting during sex? If that is what you are in to, great, but how can you know beyond that is the type of bar you met at?
For the books like Hamilton has been putting out, why not just market them as soft porn and start directly competing with Anne Rice instead of trying to hype the stories as mysteries. The only mystery I have found in the latest by Hamilton are how they can get cleaned up after all the sex. Last time I checked, the variety described tends to involve lots of sweat and grinding each other into the ground. Fun, but there is a marked tendency to get sweatstreaks, saliva, cum, and other bits and pieces all over the place. I do not care if you have spells of illusion that allow you to hide the effects. You still need to get cleaned up sooner or later. I mean really, who wants grass in their hair any longer than necessary? And considering how often Hamilton's leading ladies end up in broken glass, splintered furniture and various muddy locations, you would think showers would play a larger role in their lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment