Sunday, September 11, 2005

Working On A Sunday

I know that it is hypocritical, but I really hate working on Sundays & wish that I did not have to. And I think that just about every other place across the world should be closed on Sunday as well. With the noticeable exceptions of Wal-Mart, gas stations, and other useful locations, of course.

Today I have been playing a stupid mind game to keep myself entertained. I can recommend it for meetings when you are really not necessary but you need to look like you are paying attention & not staring into space mindlessly.

There are numerous variations, but I started years ago by trying to decide what sort of animal a friend most reminded me of. Like exmi reminds me of a pit bull, specifically his dog Deeters but that was not my 1st pick. An english pit bull would have been my 1st pick. My old roomie is forever associated with a blood hound in my mind. A friend at the time was a barn owl because despite her ability to focus and really astounding skills, she is a complete and utter slob and no social skills. Her now ex-husband was a brown bear for a variety of reasons the most obvious being that when you put a picture of him beside a picture of a brown bear there were LOTS of physical similarities. His sister was a chinchilla despite her Scottish heritage and sheep wool-like hair. Another friend we decided was a Florida panther because not only was he on the small side but he would probably gut a person & never notice it - & we were being literal about that. I am still considered a house cat with many voices chiming in that I am a calico house cat. Still not sure what to make of that.

This has evolved to the point where I try and determine not only what animal a person is, but what sort of medieval or alternate life style or futuristic garb/job I can picture a person in. This can cause some rather bizarre images so be warned. As an example, one of my staff ladies is a truly warm, loving woman. However, the medieval career I can see her in is as the good-hearted nosy tavern keeper who knows everyone's business and takes care of everyone whether they want her to or not. To entertain myself, I try picturing her in something from, say a place with a lot of latex. It took a week before I could stop snickering. I can picture her in biker momma leathers & flannel, but not latex.

I have spent many a meeting contemplating the speaker in various garb and it has definitely helped pass the time. It is hard not to have a serious expression after all when you are trying to make a Dilbert-clone look like a dominatrix wanna-be mentally. It makes for a lot of fun & I can recommend it. Just watch for unexpected bouts of laughter.

2 comments:

  1. Well, duh. But since the zombie revolution has yet to occur, then paychecks are still a must. And this is 1 way of coping with the sheer boredum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. High Desert Diva -
    I some how doubt that. From your blog I would be very surprised if the people around you would agree. So ask around & be amazed.

    ReplyDelete