Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Can I Request a Limited Zombie Invasion?

I am not ready for a real zombie invasion, but after the past 2 days of absolute chaos I would really appreciate it if a zombie invasion would descend on Atlanta & DC. In particular, eat Gov. Purdue. I'll provide the salt, pepper, ketchup, what ever is requested.

Why am I feeling so blood thirsty? For those who are lucky enough to not be effected by this, the Gov. of GA requested that as many counties as possible in GA cancel school for the past 2 days (this Monday & Tuesday). By 6 pm yesterday, I was ready to gut the next parent who dropped off their children & left to "go run errands." This is actually code for getting a smoke without a hassle.

Because this request by the gov. was made at about 4 pm Friday, there was no time for teachers to create assignments to keep the little darlings occupied on Monday & Tuesday of this week. Because there was no assignments or arrangements made, there was nothing the parents could do but scramble madly for a baby sitter to watch the little angels. Many parents failed naturally enough, so the malls, libraries, YMCA's, rec departments, and other facilities were over run with the little brats.

It was absolutely insane for the past 2 days & we just now managed to wrap everything up, scrape the gum of the computers, pull the candy wrappers out of the disk drives, put the books back in order, and generally return the building to a working order. The best parts were when the adults threw fits because little rug rats were on the computers and they had to wait. Keeping a smile was not easy. Especially since I got here an hour late thanks to having my car fixed and that made for all sorts of headaches.

Side note - I am anything but irreplaceable here at work. Yet every time I am late by an hour or more, leave early, take a day off, whatever, I am stunned by how my revoltingly empty desk amasses huge quantities of papers, books, notes, and stuff that no one else is willing to deal with. And that includes notes telling me that someone called to order material we do not have and so the requested title was put on our "wish list." Just do it! Listen to Nike! It works!

Anyway, zombie lama has a post about how he has too much stuff. I can not say that I understand the idea. I tend to throw away or give away at least 4 boxes of old stuff I no longer use every 3 months. There are odds & ends I have kept since before my birth, but that is because they were bought to celebrate my birth & that's the happiest thought I know of. Knowing that someone was glad that you were conceived is just cool. Whether or not you would recognize one another now with name tags is a trivial detail. When you were conceived and born, they were happy you simply were.

Books are another matter entirely. I have too many books and I tend not to buy as many as I would like. I certainly read dozens each month that I check out from 1 of the many libraries I have access too. But stuff? Being able to keep my home pared down to the necessities is a wonderful feeling, especially when it comes time to dust.

I have been thinking of what I would grab up if ever I had to evacuate because of a hurricane. That, along with whether or not I really want to move the (fill in the blank) when it comes time to next relocate, are the 2 thoughts I keep in mind when I go to buy. Following those, I debate on whether I would use or wear it, and with what. If the answers are all positive, and I actually need it, then I buy it. But, getting back to the point, thanks to Katrina & Rita, I have realized that with a few exceptions that will be corrected by this coming Sunday, I can have the easily moved portions of my belongs packed up & loaded in my car in under 3 hours. That includes my cats. The rest of it, well, I need a truck so they stay. All my truly important stuff is in the car.

If the disaster is an earthquake or zombie invasion, well, I am doomed. Especially if it is a zombie invasion because I tend towards the iron skillet home defense systems rather than any-caliber weapons. Though I do have a frightening number of knives thanks to my late grandmother. Why she had over 3 dozen carving/butcher/bread knives is beyond me, but they are all mine. Scary.



P.S.
I got this via email today. Anyone know how accurate it is? It would not surprise me either way, but I am curious.
Poor grieving Cindy....Tough Life. . . . . . .camping outside Bush's Ranch
More about Cindy . . What is most interesting is that the press gives this little bunch of people who are protesting with Cindy so much air time without discussing Cindy's background. This is a case of more press bias. It's been pointed out on just a couple of media outlets that Cindy divorced her first husband and left her son with him to be raised while she became a political activist for the Democratic Party. She had very little to do with her son in his growing years. She remarried. The 1st husband remarried. The original father raised the son with his new wife. They miss their son and mourn the loss of his life. They have stated that they are very proud of their son and that they agree with the stance of America in Iraq and on terror. They said that their son was eager to serve and to go fight the terrorists in Iraq. He volunteered. How many news stations carried their interview? Not many.
So the son dies in Iraq and then Cindy shows up to make a stink. She gets an audience with Bush. That was not enough. She goes to Crawford and demands another audience. How many news stations carry the ongoing saga of Cindy? Practically all of them.
Cindy didn't care about her son. She let another woman raise him. Cindy doesn't care about the other soldiers in Iraq. Cindy cares about her liberal, feminist agenda and about using the death of her son to lobby against Republicans andBush. And the press is helping her. Why?
Then a few days ago, Cindy's 2nd husband filed for a divorce from Cindy. Cindy sounds like a feminist opportunist who did not have the sense of responsibility to even raise her own son. It looks like her 2nd husband is fed up with Cindy. We middle Americans should be fed up with Cindy also. We should be fed up with the press. They manipulate us into their "group think" and into the responses that they want on their polls.

3 comments:

  1. No idea how accurate that email is, but if it's accurate, then that kind of changes everything, eh?

    ZL - Go for it. I won't stop you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! As I said, just find Gov. Purdue. I am not sure what the address is but he is currently in Atlanta, continuing his efforts to fuck everything up even further.

    And I agree that Cindy Sheehan is a moron and deserves all sorts of bad things (like a case of permanent runs) but I am just curious to know how accurate this email is because when a google search is done, the options go on forever and I have not the patience to wade through all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received the same e-mail today.

    According to Urban Legends (Snopes.com) it is not true. Mr. and Mrs. Sheehan were highschool sweethearts and this was their first marriage and only marriage.

    ReplyDelete