Friday, December 09, 2005

Playing Today

I was taking some time to surf the net today & decided to visit some of the blogs I have bookmarked here. Looking at Word Incarnates last 2 postings, all I can say is "OUCH!" Especially since I am 1 who uses this as a way to journal in a stream of conscious. I also vent, review various forms of drivel, and generally lack any purpose beyond letting of steam so that I do not say something I should not.

But do I have any deep, philosophical thoughts? Nope. Do I bring up uncomfortable questions? Not this chicky! What do I blather on about? Dreams, books I have read, and how thong underwear is not that bad. As I sit here, staring at the screen, I am debating if I should be more profound & start posting my views on today's news. My internal wrestling has come to an end. The answer is a resounding "NO!"

I will remark on things like a conversation I just had about the differences between various churches & the stupidity of today's college students, but that is as far in to intellectual posts as I will get. Otherwise, I will stick to drivel, whines, rants, and the routine moans & groans.

As for the conversation I just had, we covered many areas and I was completely out of my depth because I just do not follow politics all that closely. But 1 of the political commentator's had a "contest" with a college girl who was from some mid-eastern school & part of the local college radio show. The girl was asked questions like who is Miers? (no clue) Who is the Vice President? (Al Gore) Can you name 5 senators? (nope) Who is Paris Hiltons sister? (She knew, though I don't) That just disturbs me because I see that sort of narrow knowledge base more & more.

We also discussed how some building are more "holy" than others. I admit to being biased and all that hookum, but some of the most inspiring buildings I have ever been in include Russian Orthodox Catholic churches in particular but catholic old style buildings in general, Buddhist temples, mosques, and Jewish temples.

During this conversation, I also had 1 of those flashes of obvious insight that occasionally occur to me. A comment was made that part of the reason the Catholic church appealed was the "order" and the "traditions," that go along with the "TRADITIONS." The insight was that probably part of the appeal is that we are both obsessive compulsive personalities & live for order & traditions. I am probably going to kill some time today looking to see if anyone has ever done personality work-ups of the great religious leaders who led revolts against the Catholic Church (Lutherans, Mennonites, etc.) Wonder how many were extroverts who rebelled against authority?

1 comment:

  1. But 1 of the political commentator's had a "contest" with a college girl who was from some mid-eastern school & part of the local college radio show. The girl was asked questions like who is Miers? (no clue) Who is the Vice President? (Al Gore) Can you name 5 senators? (nope) Who is Paris Hiltons sister? (She knew, though I don't) That just disturbs me because I see that sort of narrow knowledge base more & more.

    That's disturbing.

    Most of the students I went to college with weren't any smarter. :(

    ReplyDelete