Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Hard Time Wrapping My Mind Around This

Last night, I was reading a Harlequin romance & nearly choked on my tea when I read that the female lead was coughing up $600 for a chihauhau. Now, do not get me wrong. I am perfectly willing to shell out for an animal. What I have a problem with is such large sums for something that might weigh 4 lbs., after a meal & dripping wet.

I admit that part of my problem also stems from 1 of my co-workers who is going to pay a similar amount for a puppy born this past weekend & will maybe weigh 2 lbs. as an adult. I do not understand the mentality, I guess. And I try to maintain objectivity by realizing that there really are not that many people willing to collect books and find my craving for more books to be an odd & dangerous obsession. And that there are people who pay $2,000 grand for the newest computers now, even though they will be out of date once they hit the stores shelves. So a dog is much more practical & a better investment, because they never turn into junk for the trash man to haul off, esp. in that price range.

I still have a hard time paying $600 for a small dog. An European bred rotti or doberman, sure. A horse, definitely. An exotic pet, I would be frightened if there wasn't a huge price tag. But a -5 lbs. dog? I have a rough time wrapping my mind around it, esp. when there are rescue organizations desperate to find homes for pure breds. And if you are not going to show an animal, or breed it, then why not do a good deed when getting a pure breed? But that is just me. Throw in my amazing luck at finding animals desperate for a home, and I have a really hard time justifying paying for an animal.

Beyond that, not much is going on. ;-)

4 comments:

  1. $600 for what would be called 'bait' where I come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chihauhau was bred as a food animal in the aztec times. So really all she bought was a $600 meal.

    these word verification things are getting huge. blbkehwy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bunch of !@#$^&&*. I've seen some wonderful purebreds for $250-300. If she paid $600 for a chihuahua, she got robbed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU!
    I agree with what all 3 of you posted. I just can't imagine paying for an animal, esp. some of the inflated prices I have seen recently.

    ReplyDelete