Saturday, October 22, 2005

I Have A Headache

I don't know about anyone else, but I am remarkably thrilled that it is Saturday. This past week has been exciting and an adventure. I was so thrilled. Really. I mean that. Ignore the sound of my jaw grinding.

Let's see. No particular order here. I had a member of my staff - she is a permanent pain in the ass - decide that she did not need to work so she never came in to work. This would have been perfectly all right, except she forgot to tell anyone. Since multiple people are out sick, life was made interesting. I am praying that she will screw up badly enough that my New Year's present will be firing her. On the plus side, I will not have to smell her mothball perfume for another week because she already put in for that time off. Guess the bright side is that I am free of her. I really did enjoy that aspect because she is so incredibly annoying.

Next came Staff Development Day! That was actually fun for once. Some of the previous years attempts left a lot to be desired. What put this years efforts squarely on the positive side is at the end there was kareoke. 2 of the people did a Sunny & Cher impression, and it was hilarious. Neither could sing AT ALL, but it did not matter because they obviously did their home work and had studied Sunny & Cher videos because they were spot on in their rendition of "I've Got You Babe."

After spending far too many hours at Staff Development, I made my escape and (SURPRISE!) I ended up at Barnes & Nobles. After searching for 1 of the more incredibly obnoxious children's videos for my nephew, I settled in for a bit of reading. I managed to skim through a YA book called "The Ranger's Apprentice." It was not that wonderful, so I went to John Ringo's "Ghost." THAT is 1 for my personal collection. The book is about a retired SF who is a complete bastard and that's his good side. The book is divided into 3 segments and the 1st is the absolute best. The 2nd segment needed help while the 3rd set up book 2, "Kildare." Reading it, I felt like Ringo had been sitting with a bunch of SF guys, B.S.-ing over their liquid dinner, taking notes. He then took all those accounts and turned them into 1 big story with a strong thread of his personal sexual fantasies.

There are all sorts of issues anyone can take with the book. The amount of information he gave about s&m, b&s, ect., was a lot scary, especially when mothers got involved. Personally, I never ever want it confirmed that my parents even know what sex is. Reading that the parents of 2 of the characters are into the "scene" and are willing to help educate their own daughters is a bit too much information. The way the main character managed to get away with some of the crap he did is another issue. Throw in all the technical details that I have no way of even guessing if they were accurate, and there is a host of issues. However, I loved it. I loved the smart ass comments, the Hilary bashing, the general obnoxious behavior. I will end up buying the book.

Next I read a Lora Leigh story in an anthology. I decided that much as I enjoyed her sex descriptions, she is incredibly repetitive. For something beyond Anne Rice's Beauty series, I would recommend her stuff, but be prepared for lots of repetition.

I then decided that I should go home. Just because it was 9 pm by the time I finished reading & still had an hour drive, was no reason to rush though. I should have taken longer because at about 11:30 p.m., give or take, the dogs went ballistic. I looked out and my car doors were open and the dogs were running after something, though someone turned out to be more accurate once the cops showed up. They took finger prints because there was a massive hand print on my window, but doubt if it will do any good. Once they finally left, I brought the dogs in because I wanted to feel safer. I am glad that I did because around 6-6:30 a.m., someone tried soming in the bedroom window. Fortunately, Zoe decided that she did not approve and her barking brought the other 2 running and the idiot was chased off.

For the record, I hate this sort of crap.

But, once the cops had done their part - zilch - I went shopping and feel remarkably better. Retail therapy does wonders.

It is now Saturday and I have managed to read several mangas and a kids book called "Santa Paws." If your kids are in the right age group (about 2nd grade through 4th) or you just like cutesy animal books, pick it up. I certainly enjoyed them. The book is the 1st in a series about a German shepherd mix who gets a family and has a unique ability to help people out of their problems. It was a quick & easy read, and it was fun, what can I say?

Beyond that, I am killing time today. I am just not here and really do not care much today. I have a few dozen things I would rather be doing at home, but that pay check is necessary. Sigh. Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on the first part of Ghost. It is first rate. From there Ringo kind of fell into what I call the Laurell Hamilton syndrome, or, "I can write about sex. Oh Boy! Oh Boy! Oh Boy!" The middle part of the book degenerated into some close to the fanfiction designation of PWP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I never ever want it confirmed that my parents even know what sex is.

    My parents never had sex. I'm still trying to figure out how I came about, but all I know is my parents didn't have sex.

    ReplyDelete