Thursday, July 07, 2005

It's Semi-Official

It's semi-official - I am a sap, a sucker, a wimp. Any time a 4 legged creature wanders up, I find ways to move it in. I do not need any more animals. I have the 3 cats of my own, the 2 dogs I babysat & the 2 other cats I watch, PLUS the start deer hunting dog that wandered up & has since moved in. I do not want any of them! Well, I will keep my 3, plus the other 2 cats because they are easy to take care of comparatively. But my lifestyle is completely opposed to being a dog owner. I do not have the time to devote to a dog and I travel enough that a dog is an unnecessary burden on myself. So what do I do? I start figuring out ways to keep my bills paid, some food in my tummy, and how to get the stary to the vets for shots & whatever else she needs.

In her defense, she is a sweet heart. I have been calling her Deerheart (& yes it is a bad pun). She showed up about 2-3 weeks ago with her hair falling out, fleas, scratches, cuts, bones sticking out, and obviously in heat since the unfixed males were following behind & trying to mount her. Since then, I put her in a pen and have been feeding her, she has had 2 baths, her hair is growing in. The funniest part about her hair growing back is her eye brows. I had not even noticed they were missing because she was so sad looking, but they are growing back & it is just silly looking. She has started moving around in the pen, and when I come out, she comes up to the fence or door, eager for attention.

I should be desperately looking for a new home for her, but I'm being lazy, bought her a collar named her. and am looking at ways to afford the vet bill & wondering if an indoor dog cage or an outdoor kennel is the better option. What is sad is that there are several cats I have fallen in love with, all of whom would be easier to take care of & would fall in to my current life style without any problem.

I really have to get over this weakness for 4 legs & big eyes. Its bad for my checkbook which is already beyond lean. If I had more money, I'd take all the fuzzies, but I am poor!

There seems to be some sort of correlation there. If you are poor, you end up taking in needy animals by the truck load. That's a cosmic rule that needs to be corrected.

1 comment: