I have managed to - some how - find the time to watch some movies. 3 of them were walks down memory lane. I re-watched the Herbie movies and I had forgotten how much fun those are. I was at my mothers & watched them with my 5 yr. old nephew & that made it even better. Scenes that he laughed at were made even funnier for me because he got such a kick out of them. And was that ever a round about statement. But watching those 3 Herbie movies made it a guarantee that I will watch the latest Herbie flick coming out soon. I just like the silly movies. I'm just hoping that Disney does not desecrate Herbie like they did Hercules, among others.
I also watched "House of Flying Daggers." Plot wise, it was another Romeo & Juliet rehash. But the action sequences & the scenery were pure art & beyond breath taking. I want to go see the locations this film was made at just to compare the reality to the cinematic. This will be a movie I buy stills from, as well as the film itself. The only other film that does as well in my biased opinion is the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
I then had the chance to see "Mr. & Mrs. Smith." That was worth every penny. The laugh factor alone was incredibly high. I will treasure the memory of the mini-van chase for a long time. And it certainly did not hurt that Brad Pitt was running around in his boxers & a t-shirt a lot of the time.
I was not sure of Brad Pitt as an attractive man until I saw him in "Troy." That movie made me a believer in his sex appeal. I have to add my vote to the millions of others who find him 1 of America's sexiest men. Though the rest of my personal list probably differs from others because I'd include Patrick Stewart from "Star Trek, the Next Generation;" Viggo Mortenson of "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy; Hugh Jackman from the "X-Men" movies.
Over the past week, I have had the chance to catch up on a lot of reading. Most of my reading was of the pure trash variety. Lots of Jane Ann Krentz romances were devoured. Those are nothing but pure fun. I would hate to have someone analyze me based on my personal book collection though. I have everything from the complete collection of Shakespeare & Dante to the almost complete collection of Jayne Ann Krentz, mixed with Terry Pratchett & David Weber, with all of the Mary Poppins books. And that's just a small selection of what I have!
But beyond those romances, I also read the book "Faith of the American Soldier" by Stephen Mansfield. I have no idea if this will make sense, but while I enjoyed parts of the book, what got to me was the attitude that military chaplains as a group, but he in particular, needs more of just about everything. I am willing to agree that military chaplains deserve more, and that American soldiers deserve more moral/religious support. After all, as Froggy Ruminations posted recently (the June 13th posting to be exact), it is rather depressing that an American soldier can't have true religious services or counseling, yet a terrorist can. Check it out, he has the better list than I do.
I guess the reason the book struck a false note with me is because it was so biased. I expected more facts and studies, not impressions and opinions. Opinions are what I am posting on this web site, not what someone is writing for publication. Silly of me, but I do have these expectations after all.
That's my latest reading. I have lots of trash at home waiting my reading pleasure, but I doubt if anyone is really interested in reading up on my views of formula romance writing.
I can see why you compare House of Flying Daggers to Romeo and Juliet but I must disagree. In Romeo and Juliet both the protagonists give up and kill themselves. Fights over, I can't live anymore. (which incedently is why I do NOT consider the play to be a true tragedy)IN Flying Daggers they keep right on fighting to the end. (in fact the guy is still alive. Not for long I suspect since he had a sword driven through his guts but hey for the moment) The girl dies only in the attempt to save him. (From a non existent threat)Which leads to the question, What were Leo's intentions with his false knife throw?
ReplyDeleteYou have once again reconfirmed that you are even more cynical than I because R&J is a tragedy if only in the sense that they are all idiots.
ReplyDeleteAs for the nonexistent threat, my opinion is on 3 levels.
1. Because it is such a cool special effect. The moment the blood splattered on the knife was fantastic.
2. To show the depths of her love for the man on the wrong side of the war, she sacrificed herself.
3. So that they can all die appropriately.
Thanks for share......
ReplyDeletewith the great source of Entertainment.........