Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Back with Even More Stuff


This picture is from despair.com & seems remarkably appropriate lately.

There really has not been that much going on, entertainment wise. I have seen the absolutely hilarious chick flick, "Hitch," and definitely recommend the movie. There were parts I was crying I was laughing so hard. And the ending was fantastic in my humble opinion because it tied up most of those pesky loose ends without showing everyone living happily ever after.

I also watched some kid flicks & I know there will be moans of horror. I watched 2 of the latest Pokemon movies. They are horribly cliche and the moral of the stories were 2x4's between the eye's, but they are fun movies that are excellent to read by.

I have finished a few more books. For a dreamy tone, I would recommend Patricia McPhillip's "Od Magic" and "Atrix Wolfe." Neither are unusually anything, but they are fun quick reads that have strong fairy tale over tones. I also read M. J. Putney's "Stolen Magic" and the predecessor, "A Kiss of Fate." They did not ring any bells, cause any grand emotional response, but they definitely qualify as fun romance reads for a rainy day.

Probably the only decent read of the past few days is Laurie Kings "Locked Rooms." It is the latest in the Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell series. For those who prefer the original Holmes stories, this series will be enough to cause rabid reactions. I enjoy it because not only does Holmes not die at the Falls, but he meets his female counterpart & they end up marrying in a rather attractive sounding marriage. Their adventures are fun & I enjoy the way L. King brings other literary classics in to her Holmes/Russell universe. This one has me interested in Dashell Hammett.

Once again, the fact that I work in a public library saves me a minor fortune and lets me grab what I want immediately. When I manage to leave this job, I am going to be seriously screwed. I will actually have to be prompt in returning my books! Oh No!

I know that I have read lots more than these, but none of them were in any way truly remarkable. Most are rather dull variations on the vampire themes and I can't say those were worth even remembering. Proven by the fact that I can't. I am constantly surprised by how many dull authors there are out in the publishing world. I know it is all a matter of taste, just read reviews, but it is rather daunting to want to find something but the options are so vile, you just do not want to read any of them.

Fortunately, I have 100 + items on my "To Be Read" shelf and so my sanity is saved. I am just hoping that the publishers keep putting out so I won't go insane from boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment