Monday, June 20, 2005

Another stay at home night

Sunday, last night, I had another relaxing evening watching movies and reading books. I really should be more active, but, well, why? It's not as if I have a life anyway so why pretend?
Getting to the point, I watched "Collateral," with Tom Cruise. The movie was great - right up until the end. That ending stretches the "suspension of disbelief" factor to a whole new level. I couldn't go there and it really made for a bad impression.
It was just hard to believe that a man, standing on a parking garage, in L.A., would be able to look up into a 14th story window and see a woman's face as she worked in a law library. Sorry, that just isn't going to happen. To further ruin the movie, Cruise was shooting up a subway in L.A. and there was nary a transit authority in sight. Somehow, that is impossible to believe. I have never been to L.A., but I have been to Philly & Atlanta. I have never, ever NOT seen a transit authority rent-a-cop some where about.
Then, to add salt to the disastrous ending, the hero & his love interest stumble out of the L.A. subway system on to an empty street. REALITY CHECK! This is L.A. There is no such thing as an empty city street at any time of day. I know this & I have never been there!
No wonder the movie disappeared so fast if thats how it ended. All this cool build up & then the movie crashed & burned.
Before watching a movie I can never recommend to anyone, I spent some time reading. The 1 I enjoyed the most was a collection of vampire books & found it to be rather fun. I read "The Dark Destiny III" by Edward Kramer. It is a collection of short stories & probably the most depressing is one involving Lot's daughter. The portrayals are nothing less than horrific, but in a truly sad kind of way. It is a book I'm not sure I could recommend unless I knew the person enjoyed that sort of violence, but . . .
Let's see, what else have I read. It is kind of sad, because all I can remember is that I finished about 4 Harlequin paperbacks, 2 smaller romances by Jayne Anne Krentz, "The Hallowed Hunt" by Lois M. Bujold, and a few dozen others I can't remember unless I see the covers again. They were all good, but I tend to read A LOT.
I am never sure if my need to read is a good or bad thing because on some levels, it means I read a wide variety of topics. The problem is that since I do read so much, and do not have a photographic memory or perfect recall, it is hard to keep straight what I read, when and what goes with what. I try to keep the facts correct, but the details of how I got the facts is a bit confusing.
Other than my light entertainment, not much else is happening. I have not read any exciting articles or been inspired by any of the ongoing world events to say much more than life is progressing & I really don't think humanity is doing a stellar job as acting stewards of the world. We keep trying to kill ourselves off.
And I did watch Dateline last night. If anyone can explain to me why a bunch of young mountain climbers who have the bad luck to be captured by rebels in the middle of a mountain range in Kyzakstan or however is is spelled, are considered truly news worthy, please help me understand. If there had been a chance of immediate, humiliating death, then I can see why there would be media coverage. But that a bunch of snot nosed kids managed to be captured & then escape, get a book deal, and get on with their lives, then so be it. But enough with the trash media. There are all sorts of vastly more entertaining things that could be covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment