Today, I hit my boredom threshold. I go to the pool and doggy paddle for an hour most mornings. Nothing thrilling, just straight grunt work. So today I decided to start experimenting & see what I remember from swim class that won't threaten these way to expensive contacts. Among other things, I tried treading water. Does OH MY GAWD!!!! mean anything? I thought I was going to croak! I officially have the greatest respect for anyone who treads water in full gear for over 1 second. I was in a simple 1-piece suit & thought I'd croak after 30 seconds!
But I can feel the difference so I am going to add that in to the mix. If nothing else to break up the boredom. I am going to have to get that lasik soon. It will be a huge savings & far less of a hassle to not worry about my contacts any longer. Besides my contacts are $600 for the pair. I can take that money & spend it on lasik and be done with it.
In the short term, I need to find some place that sells those ugly swim caps. My hair is too long & too fine to risk the damage chlorine does to it. I have it soft & silky. I will not ruin that!
For my lifesaving class, we had to tread water with no hands for 3 minutes. I was much younger then.
ReplyDeleteUGH! WITH NO HANDS! HOW!
ReplyDeleteI am impressed because I can barely tread water with hands!
Go for water aerobics. If you have a decent instructor, you can learn all the moves in three sessions, (or look them up on line, which is cheaper)then use your water aerobics in your lap lane. You don't even have to get your hair wet to get a pretty darn thorough work out.
ReplyDeleteYou are the 1st to recommend water aerobics to me, 3-Score. There is a class offered at the pool I use & the price isn't bad. I can attend 2 times a week for an additional $10 per month. So for $35 / month I can swi9m laps in the morning & then at 5:30 go to a water aerobics class. I'm still debating because I'm TIRED at 5:30 but I might try for a month. Thanks!moves
ReplyDeleteI don't think I'd be good at water aerobic, but I'd be willing to try.
ReplyDelete$600 for the pair? sheesh.
I'm convinced that I am alive due to water aerobics. Once in awhile you get a lousy instructor. In such a case you can get all the moves from the web and just ignore the instructor. Unless you are swimming with more than one lap swimmer in each lane, most places you can go in for lap swim and just do aerobics instead. (if you have another swimmer in your lane, it gets complicated.) It does help if you are in a lane that has a shallow (up to your chest) lane.
ReplyDeletegunngirl -
ReplyDelete$600/pair is what I get for having 2 astigmitisms per eye. (And I don't think I spelled that right) If I ever worked up the courage, lasik would correct my eyesight, but the thought of someone directing a laser onto my eye ball & cutting creeps me out royally. I mean, what would happen if I blinked? No one has told me, they just laugh and wave my worry away.
3-Score -
any web sites you would NOT recommend I llok at? A google search comes up with a few zillion & while a quick scan shows a lot of similarities, is there anything to avoid?
There is actually very little to avoid. The paid entries in google are just bookstores, and you can get the books in the library ;->
ReplyDeleteThe main thing to remember is to warm up and stretch out (in the water) before serious exercize.(basically the same stuff you do in the gym) When jogging (usually in place)or in any exercise, let your toe hit, but always try to let the heel down to the surface (prevents calf cramps) I'll make a list of some traditional exercizes, but jogging (vary this with high knees, regular jog, and a toe jog), jumping jacks (bring arms up to, but not out of the surface of the water), a cross country ski motion will be enough to keep you busy. Do any exercise at least twenty seconds, don't do any more than a minute, and alternate. The first entry after the paid sponsors in google had a nice series of exercises.