Friday, September 01, 2006

Alcohol

OK, what is the deal? I have had over the past 3 weeks several conversations with numerous women about men & their drinking. At work, with the neighbors, with friends, and several others, I have listened to rants about men & their drinking. I am confused by what the attraction to alcohol is. Why is drinking such a must by so many? I will be the 1st to admit I enjoy a good drink every now & again. In fact, several drinks sounds appealing lately. But it is not that big of a deal. can anyone explain?

6 comments:

  1. First, I commented on your "80's" post, please check it out.

    Now, I love mixed drinks, but straight shots from a brown paper bag? 40 ounces? Yuck. I can't help you understand. I don't like beer or hard liquer right from the bottle, I can't imagine just chugging Jack Daniels, or Bourbon, etc. ugh.

    I think people get drunk so fast that they don't even realize it, they just numb themselves to the drink.

    And I have never been so drunk I passed out or woke up in a Mexican bus station. That's wouldn't be fun to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a non drinker I have never understood it. Although waking up in a mexican bus station would be interesting......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't woken up in a mexican bus stop either, but I think gunngirl & I would enjoy the experience far less than you, exmi.

    I do not want to give the impression that drinking is a single sex issue. However, it is women talking with me so I hear that perspective more.

    But what really boggles me is how some use alcohol to forget their problems, another uses alcohol to "relax after a hard days work," another drinks to keep up with his buddies, and is it just me, or are these pretty standard excuses?

    That's what really boggles me. I understand the desire for a drnk. Especially on days you can't choke the living shit out of someone & it actually hurts physically because the desire to do so is so strong. I can understand wanting a drink under pretty much any circumstance, but I do not understand getting shit faced. All that does is make MORE problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are big reasons most people give. that and "I'm just having fun!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on a drink when life or someone is just too much to handle, I actually getting shit faced when that happens too, sometimes you need to be so drunk that you do forget it.

    But not all the time. I remember watching The Real World and this guy would be so drunk he'd be passing out any and everywhere. I don't people who hae to get loud, obnoxious drunk ALL THE TIME messing up the good time you're having, or causing you to have to watch out for them.

    I don't like dealing with drunk people, I've done it before. Not fun. I don't like dealing with drug addict either, they're just as much of a pain in the ass. (but that's another topic)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing isn't it? What people are willing to do to themselves just to "forget" or "feel good." I understand the desire & even the nedd, but the reality check is the problem(s) do not go away if you dfrink ( or dope up). In fact, they tend to multiply.

    ReplyDelete