Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Party Time!

YIPPIE! I have DSL again! Life is so cool! Yippie!

I can start visiting blogs with lots of pics like Must Be Tuesdays and check out web sites with lots of cute pictures and watch trailers for movies and other cute wave files. I can download music! This is so cool!

My mother was extremely hesitant to get DSL, but Embarq/Sprint is currently running a really good deal & its actually cheaper now than it was under her old dial-up plan. So who am I to complain? If all goes well, I might be able to justify satellite under her name with me paying the bill. We shall see what happens but this is so nice. No hoping that I do not get kicked off the net. No more reading 2 or more chapters in a book while waiting for my email to load. Nirvana!

Today at work, I came to a startling conclusion. It's hot. Amazing, isn't it?

I'm about to be a commercial, but that Propel by Gatorade has been the best choice out of everything I have taken to keep hydrated at work. Regular Gatorade tastes way to salty, which makes me even thirstier. Water gets blah pretty damn quick. Tea sends me to the port-a-potty & then back for more to drink, repeating frequently. But this Propel, it has flavor but doesn't leave me craving more because my mouth feels like the Sahara just moved in, nor so sugary that I end up with a headache in this heat.

And yes, we have a port-a-potty. Where I work, there is no real plumbing. What there is, is an excellent irrigation system with water facets strategically raised for staff convenience and a port-a-potty in the back. It has been an education in etiquette using the monstrosity, especially since all we have is fans through out the property. There is no a/c anywhere on the property. It gets hot. Since I am blessed with the ability to sweat like mad in any temperature, I routinely come home literally dripping wet. I wring my clothes out at the end of a day at work, and in this heat, I go in back & wring my shirt out at least once. Since I am also covered in dirt and plant leaves, it is really disgusting.

What is truly astonishing is home much I love this job. On many levels I should not. I work hard, my hands and feet are anything but smooth & delicate. I have freckles forming all over. I sweat like a pig. I stink. Yet I can't wait to go back to work and am wondering about getting a degree in horticulture. I know that I would have to specialize because I have no desire to be a grower, or irrigation expert, or involved in hardscape land scaping (concrete, fountains, etc.). That leaves nurseries and landscaping, with all the specialization in those areas. I have a tenative plan to work at this job until next year. Then I will ask about working with the landscape crews and see what happens there. Which ever I discover I enjoy more, then that is what I will start focusing on as a full time career. I will go for the necessary accreditation, and see what happens from there.

Either that or end up dead from heat exhaustion.

Serious note, but these gas prices are getting out of hand. I disagree with a lot of what is happening in our government now, but this is really annoying. It does not help when I read & hear the so-called experts rambling on about how these higher gas prices are not going to affect the average American family. I'd like to know just what these experts consider an average American family because I meet people from a wide spectrum of socio-economic backgrounds, yet EVERYONE is currently hurting & these gas prices are not helping.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, I haven't been back in a while. As soon as I step away you go and put up like four posts. I'm glad that you love your work, and that despite the sweat and dirt you're enjoying yourself. That makes it worth it.

    Oh, and thanks for the congrats on my job. I'm sorry happy that the job Angel bit both of us, lol. Such good news, finally, for both of us.

    Rock on with DSL, my sister has it, and I'm jealous. Sometimes dial-up is so slow for me I just turn off the computer. Downloading is a nighmare, I don't even bother.

    Maybe now I can pay for highspeed ;) we shall see.

    ReplyDelete