Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Thoughts About Adam & Eve

OK, I know that I am not the only person to think on this topic. I don’t have a list of the titles & authors close, but I know Mark Twain wrote about Eve and Adam in the Garden of Eden, and there is a collection of short storied by women about Eve. And I am positive that there have been religious studies about Adam & Eve as well.

As you can guess, I am talking about Adam & Eve. I just want to know, why there are no religious observances for the ultimate grandparents of humanity. OK, for those who do not follow the creationist theory, I know all the theories and such that are in competition with the creationist theory. It does not matter in this case. I want to know why the Catholic Church, the source of more holidays and days of observance than I ever want to think about, has nothing to celebrate Adam & Eve. According to the Catholic Church, they are the ultimate grandparents of all humanity, yet they are basically ignored.

So what that they ate the forbidden fruit, kicked out of Eden, and generally came up with a new level of misery. I know that part of what makes humans different from the rest of creation is our free will, but I have problems with the story. Adam & Eve were created perfectly innocent. They were plopped down in the Garden of Eden by God, a being who is omniscient, perfect, knows everything, sees everything, is everything, etc. You would think that as this all powerful, all knowing being, God had to of known that Adam & Eve were going to be tempted and eat the blasted fruit. He knows all, he is always there beside you, yet people are supposed to be shocked and horrified that Adam and eve disobeyed and ate the fruit. OK, why? I will not know until I die and am in God’s presence and have it explained, but I have a feeling that God knew what would happen and figured that it was a good way to have someone to be with him. That is just my theory and I want to stress this. I try to be a good person, but I know I fail. So please, no one flame me in to oblivion, OK?

Adam & Eve are considered the 1st man & woman if you follow the teachings of the Church. Since there are saints for everything from erasers to cancer patients, and everything in between, why isn’t there something for Adam and Eve?

I also want to know who Adam & Eve’s son’s Cain & Abel “begat” with. Nothing is ever said about their wives, and I really hope that Cain & Abel didn’t choose their sister’s. So does, for the sake of my sensibilities if nothing else, this mean that Lilith really was Eve’s predecessor and she & Adam had a few children of their own? Or did God step in and make a few other people to help out the gene pool?

2 comments:

  1. And here I thought you were going to talk about an adult novelty catalog......

    Many christians do not honor Adam because he fell. It is because of him that they say we are "BORN IN SIN" Not exactly something to celebrate. Not all believe that of course, the Mormons honor him quite highly.
    And yea, I have allways assumed that Caine and Able and the others were bopping their sisters. It explains so much about the human race......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, its been so long since I have progressed past hot wheels, power rangers, and other such things that I am not sure I would recognize a dirty joke if anyone even made one, let alone told a story.

    ReplyDelete