After the school shooting happened at the Amish school, I was 1 of millions who felt shock & horror. What happened is wrong no if, ands, or buts. What truly appalled me though, was something that happened during the funerals. I no longer have this article, so I can not give any of the facts. I apologize for that, but will fill in the blanks I am sure.
By now, most are probably aware of the religious group that goes to the funerals of military personnel, protesting, saying how this was in Afghanistan & Iraq is God’s way of showing His displeasure about the homosexual life style. Well, apparently they were planning to protest at the funerals for the girls killed at the Amish school. The reason? Because apparently the Amish have offended God as well with their life style.
So to prevent this group from protesting, a radio show host offered them the chance to have a free hour to air their opinions in a public forum in exchange for NOT protesting. And if they did protest, then the group had tp pay a $500,000 fine.
While I applaud the radio show host for his preventive action and the foresight to enforce the agreement, I am appalled that the move was even necessary. While free speech is a part of our inalienable rights, guaranteed by the Constitution, when did common sense and decency go out the window?
These were young girls who were subjected to something that is supposed to be unthinkable in our country. They were going to school to learn the basics and have fun and be kids. They are now dead and instead of giving their families the right and the emotional privacy and freedom to bury these children, this group feels that they can interrupt? And accuse them of living a life that offends God? That it is because of their choices their daughters were killed because they offended God?
I had already had a strong feeling of loathing and contempt for this group of religious “believers.” I firmly believe that funerals are not public events for strangers to intrude and foist their cameras and/or opinions on family and friends already in the grip of a variety of strong emotions. It does not matter if you are burying someone you loved and will miss every day of the rest of your life, or someone you are willing to build an outhouse over their grave so you can piss on their grave every day for the rest of your life. It is still an event with many varied emotions.
To know that these people feel that funerals are the appropriate time and location to protest not just the was in the Middle East but also life style choices and what ever else they may protest is enough to make me understand why the various biker groups also attend. I just wish that instead of revving their engines, they could also use baseball bats and chains on these idiots. Or maybe some nameless group of individuals could do something evil and nasty to these idiots because the lack of love and compassion is appalling.
I know that I should be more tolerant of all peoples and groups. I do not want this family to be hurt in any way shape or form. But if they were to fade away into the wood work and never offend anyone again, I would be a lot happier.
No comments:
Post a Comment