Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I Finally Get It

Yesterday, I did something truly un-amazing. I got lost on my way to work. How? Simple really, While there are multiple routes to get from home to work, I rarely (as in never) take them because they not only take too long but THERE IS NOTHING THERE! Houses are a treat and street lights are nonexistent type nothing. Mile after mile of pine trees. Since I already see mile after mile of pine tree on my current drive, I have no desire to explore country back roads that are even further out of the way than the ones I already know.

However, the GA-DOT decided to screw with my world a bit and actually pay attention to my griping. Well, maybe not mine, but there is a long stretch where there are more pot holes than actual road. So the road is closed indefinitely until it is fixed. I, being a bit of zombie when I drive, had seen the signs but just never went much past the thought that I really needed to remember that. So when they actually did close the road, I was completely unprepared.

So, since I had no idea where I was at but could not go forward the way I usually went, I got lost. I just loved every minute of being out in the middle of nowhere with only the comforting thought that I knew 1 of the highways I did know would eventually show up. Fortunately, I did luck onto a road I recognized & I was only 1/2 an hour late. Pause while I thank the Lord there were no cops because I was flying.

While I was flying down the road, I realized something rather disturbing. I finally figured out why my sister likes country music. Let me say that I am fond of just about all types of music, but opera, rap, western, country-western, & country are my least favorite genres. Pretty much in that order, as well. I am fond of just about all types of music. In my personal collection I have everything from Lords of Acid to ancient Japanese flute CD's. It is singing that I have a tough time sitting through. Most singers really just can't & it hurts, physically hurts.

But yesterday, while driving in a desperate attempt to find a road I recognized, I was listening to 106.9 the Gator & was impressed by what they played. It is a local country station & the 2 songs that distracted me & kept me listening involved rather sad themes. The 1st was by a woman & she was signing about how "she" had never walked on the moon, sung before a sold out crowd in NY, etc., but she was still someone's hero. She was "the keeper of the Cheerios," the one who with a smile let you know you mattered, and basically I turned into a watering pot about the point with the line about keeper of the Cheerios. I was then just bawling when the next song started. Once again, I have no clue who was singing, but this 1 was about a girl who was scared too death as she sat in the waiting room and as the dr. told her something was wrong between her white cells & red cells. And at the end of the song, her 1st love had just arrived to take her to the prom, and when he took off his cap, he was as bald as she was. I lost it, I admit it; though part of that was because I finally figured out just where I was.

I am such a sap.

3 comments:

  1. Lords of Acid? Now, there's an obscure band.

    I don't like those flavors of music either, except I do like some opera, like anything by Puccini and Mascagni's Callevera Rusticana. Plus, I like Wagner's overtures, but couldn't stomach listening to the rest of the operas.

    ReplyDelete