Here is a bit of trivia that absolutely boggles me. I just went with my sister to the local tech school. There, at the cosmetology department, we got our hair cut. It cost us each $5 for a wash, cut, and dry. Each time I have gone to a tech school to get my hair cut, in SC, PA, AL, or GA, I have loved my hair afterwards. It is a good cut and while slow, the experience was a positive one.
But on the flip side, I have been to pricey salons - places like Belks, Parisans, Organika, various day spa's, etc. I have paid any where from $15 to $100 for a hair cut. Yet most of those experiences left me in tears or just a simple shrug of my shoulders because my hair was no longer in my eyes & I was in & out in less than 30 minutes.
So why is it that I enjoy the experience & the actual cut better when I go to the school and yet when I go to a salon, I went home & cried at the butchering they just did on my hair? Can anyone explain that mystery?
Anyway, I am excited! I am going to go visit a friend in the chilly wilds of Ohio. Since I am currently wearing shorts & a flannel shirt with all the windows & doors open, I think I am going to freeze when I get off the plane in Ohio. Could be wrong, but . . .
In my morning walks, 1 of the topics I have been contemplating is my future. I hate being so clueless and feeling this hamstrung. I know that I want out. I know there are a few doors currently opened for me. I know that I want to walk through them. I am also afraid of what my mother will do/say and what will happen to my sister and nephew. I hate the thought of leaving her here with my mother. But I can not see any other option, especially since a lot of the thank you, but no thank you letters that I have called to follow up on have said that part of the reason I was not selected was because I was not located"in a "more advantageous" location. Since Beaufort, SC is not a mecca of industry, I am not surprised. I want to relocate. But without a job, how am I too afford the relocation? Catch-22 strikes again, and it sucks big time.
I think you expect so much more from the expensive haircut that when it's just okay, you're like, 'well, I could have achieved that $$$ ago!' When you spend less you don't expect much and when you get something you like you're even happier because it was cheap.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I'm with you on feeling clueless. All I have ever wanted to do was write. I love writing stories, but in the meantime I needed a job to support myself, thus my endless strings of 'at least they're paying me' jobs, no real career to speak of. Years later I'm stuck and feel stupid I wasted all my college years never picking something.
I feel so dumb sometimes suck in a crappy job barely paying me $20,000 a year. I mean, how pathetic is that!? Yes, it's very pathetic.
At any rate, I think you should take advantage of any free time you have during the week and look for another job, pretty much ANYTHING paying more. No, there may not be many opportunities, but if the option of just packing up and moving to another city and living anyway and anywhere you can is not an option, then you have to start somewhere.
I wish I could have (should have) done that years ago at 19 or 20y/o just move out and make a way living with 5 other roommates like so many young people do. No, I was too chicken shit to just up and leave with barely any money in my pocket.
But I'm happy both of us have jobs, that's a start. I'm there with the job paying more. If my job paid more I could get rid of this stupid loan and my bills and help my mom financially and my sister too who's so in debt they're calling her at work, and I can move out too.
With more money and better prospects you'd be able to help you r sister and you'd all be in a better place because you wouldn't be at home feeling miserable. You'd be in a better place emotionally an d be able to help her, even if she is still living at home.
Money is the root of all evil, but it's the root of most problem solvers too.
At the school students are desperatly trying to keep yuo and their insturctors happy. they know that if you have a screamin fit they are finished. In a salon, especially the really costly onews, you are dealing with an "Artiste" who is out to fulfill thier vison of what your head should look like and you are merely along for the ride.
ReplyDeleteStick with the students
Gunngirl,
ReplyDeleteI am pretty sure I will be moving to Ohio. The job offer is just so much more than I have right now and I am TIRED of being tired and feeling hopeless.
I just wish I wasn't so scared.
Exmi,
I know you are right, but it still strikes me as wrong that I am unable to get a decent hair cut any place. I mean, don't they all have to go through the same training? Or does the "artiste" mentality take over so fundamentally that the so-called professionals are a complete joke?