I am horribly unhappy about 2 deaths. The crocodile Hunter, Steve Erwin, was supposed to live forever. I was expecting to watch him & his kids on TV, playing with crocs & snakes & other such dangerous critters with my nephew's kids in 40 years, you know? Now, well, he is gone. And in such a bizarre way, too. I mean, a sting ray barb through the heart? What the fuck is that? It is just wrong! I liked him & I hate knowing that 1 of the few decent people on TV is gone.
The 2nd death is a bit closer to home for me. A local Stateboro, GA hero, Erk Russell, died at 80 years of a heart attack. He was a college football coach & 1 of the best. He will be missed.
I liked him the few times I met him. I used to work at the campus catering & he was one of the few who would make life nice for us as we served dinner. He was polite, and believe me, that is a miracle in & of itself. An icon has passed.
Now for the complete random thoughts -
(Snickering madly now)
I had a revelation the other day while running errands. I finally figured out the fascination with stars & their sex lives. Why romance novels like the Steele sister's sell so well. It's because we can not talk about our neighbors & family members! Just because we know that our sister is sleeping with so & so, who's married with kids, and that the neighbors husband has a male lover, and several other pieces on the side of a different racial background, makes no difference. You can't bring it up and gossip about your neighbors & family with your co-workers & buddies. Why? They do not know these people. But everyone knows Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Oprah, The Twins, Paris Hilton, and so on & so forth. So we can gossip about them!
Blindingly obvious, I know, but since I never thought about it before yesterday, give me credit, OK?
This is a truly sad time for everyone in the Bulldog Nation and just for all who love college football .. Erk was the greatest defensive coach I've ever seen, and just a hell of a man ... GATA, Erk, and rest in peace
ReplyDeleteI am upset about Steve too. I'm with you, a sting ray, You put it nicely ("What the fuck was that?") I can't not believe it. I hate that that happened. I loved him. I should have been rassling crocs in his 80's. That totally sucks. He actually pulled the stinger out and made it out of the water too. Damn.
ReplyDeleteSorry about your local hero, he sounded nice.
Oh, as far as your theory of why we're so obsessed with stars and their sex lives....hmmm, I can buy that. True, that when I hear about my friends neighbors, it's interesting, but for some they may choose not to belive it if it sounds to juicy or farfetched so it's not really gossip.
Though, truth can be stranger than fiction. I like celebrity relationships that are more like real life, with a cheating husband or a crazy ex-wife or something, brings it down to my level. lol.
What I don't like is obsessions like over what TomKat's baby looks like, do we care? Do we need that knowledge to enhance our lives? The media makes it seem like we do and we're so bombarded that sometimes we actually feel like we gotta tune in or buy that mag to find out, and we really don't need to care. We just get sucked in by the hype and don't even realize it.
Ugh, the media!