Sunday, November 12, 2006

Another Week

Well, life has been just oodles of fun. I really need to get another job. I am so tired of living pay check to pay check. I want to know just what a savings account is again. I also am having strong emotions this weekend because instead of getting paid on Friday, like we are SUPPOSED to be, I had to wait until about 2:00 p.m. Saturday to get my check. Seems that the person who was to deliver the paychecks to where I work bailed out sick and no one thought that, oh, yeah, some of the staff is at the nursery and would alos like their paychecks until we called. Some reason that grates.

And let's not forget my utter hatred of living with my family. Just because I do love and adore them is no reason what so ever to even think I want to live with them. What really bites is that on many levels my being here is making my mother happier than she has been and I am accomplishing a lot for all three of them. Since I DESPERATELY want my independence back, this is not something I care to contemplate all that closely, you know?

Some of the news lately that has caught my attention -

Rumsfield has FINALLY been fired. I just have to wonder why the hell it took so long.

The gay marriage ban/state constitutional amendment was passed here in SC. I disagree with that, not least because I see no reason why marriage has to be so narrowly defined. I feel that if a couple wants to tie themselves together, then let them. Any way you look at it, the lawyers are winning this battle.

It is Veteran's Day and there are several parades and ceremonies going on that have been really rather sweet. My favorite local event was when the local schools held an open house and invited vets to come visit and have lunch with the kids. That should be done more often.

There is a cookbook out called "How to Feed An Army," by Jim Lewin. It is all about cooking for 10 to 100 and I am seriously thinking of getting it, if no other reason than the money goes for troop support. That and the bit on amazon.com is rather funny.

I am also horribly confused by something and if anyone can explain this to me, I would appreciate it. But why do people say that Mrs. X is their 2nd mother? Or Ms. Y is their 2nd daughter? That Mrs. X helped raise them? I have never understood this at all. This phenomena crossed my radar recently when my boss said she could not leave until she told 1 of her employees good bye because she was just like her mother. Now, am I the only person who sees all sorts of issues inherent in that statement? I know it has no impact on me at all, but it still creeps me out.

That is probably because I have plenty with my own natural mother as well as my step mother. I have no desire, longing, need, want, craving, whatever for another mother to step in to my life and help me manage my life.

2 comments:

  1. As you know my own job woes, I know where you are about living paycheck to paycheck. I'm not loving my job, but it's a paycheck and I want to stay until I pay off my bills.

    I understand your family situation, I'm pretty much there myself. While I'm just happy to be working and making my own money, I'd like my own independence too, I just feel too old to be in the living situation I'm in and it's embarrasing to have to lie about it to people.

    I take it you are fading away from horticulture. Well, whatever you do, try and save, and I know you'll get out of that house soon, you have to believe and make your own plans, no one has to know, it's better if you keep them to yourself anyway.

    Now, as far as the 'she's like a mother to me' I don't want to go on and on, and I've never been in that situation, but I think how people feel is that there was someone there in the life that took the place of what a mother was supposed to be.

    I'll use my beloved Buffy as an example. Buffy's father left early on, having sepearted from her mother and us fans always considered Giles (her watcher) as her father figure and while they never eluded to that on the show much, it was clear that he was the father she never had, and provided much of the support, discipline and love that a father should have.

    Some people have neighbors, people in the church, whatever, who looked out for them, gave them advice, treated them like family and they say to people 'she was like a mother to me' or 'second mother' which means the same to me, someone who is just like your mother, who looks out for you.

    I wouldn't say that's bad to say that or insulting to you own mother. I don't want, or need two mothers either. I guess it depends on what you need from someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gunngirl,
    It really does suck doesn't it? And trying to edplain the situation is so incredibly embarrassing! I have become even more anti-social than ever and it scares me.
    As for my job, I still enjoy the actual work, but between the boredom and broken promises, I am ready to leave. I do not mind working, but I was promised 30 hours per week, a raise in 6 months, and the position of assist. manager following 3 months of training. Guess how many of those promises have been kept? And when I ask if there has been anything I have done or need to do to improve myself at work, I get nothing but glowing words about how it is such a joy to work with me because I not only get things done, but I get them done right the 1st time, and I take iniative, yadda yadda yadda. So I am at a loss there and do not have the patience to dig through the morass for solid information.
    And thank you for the explanation. I still do not understand, but I can at least see the otherside of the "2nd mother" syndrome. Probably all boils down to my lack of maternal streak.

    ReplyDelete