This weather stuff is really odd to me of late. I talk to my mother & sister, who gloat about their 80 degree weather. I step outside and whimper in this 40 degree weather. It is cold and raining and it sucks big time.
Anyway, life is pretty good. I went yesterday to see a great cheesy movie - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I took the 7 year old I take care because a) he is on spring break & b) he earned a movie, unlike his little brother who is having serious adjustment issues at this time. But anyway, the movie was absolutely hilarious. What was rather bittersweet for lack of a better term was that as I sat there, laughing, watching the 7 yr old enjoy the movie, I was able to recognize almost every line, every motion, every plot twist from at least 5 other books/plays/movies/tv shows.
On the intellectual level it was rather nice to recognize all that I did, but it was kind of depressing because it means I read too much. I mean, when I recognize lines straight from Shakespeare, other Disney movies, the Bible, the Three Stoogies, Monty Python, Dante, David Drake, & those are just the moments I remember, it is kind of depressing. I know that nothing new has been written since the Bible, but still . . .
Anyone who can connect straight lines from The Bible..Monty Python and Shakespeare out of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie..Should just consider themselves educationally well rounded..lol
ReplyDeleteNow was the 7 year old your cover excuse to go see it? Or did you just take him and found out you liked the movie too?
All that in TMNT movie? lol, What I think of is that the kids today think that stuff is new. God, I remember TMNT and when they were HOT no less.
ReplyDeleteI just looked at The Three Stoogies yesterday. Hee.
Glad to have you back Steph! How does it feel to be away from mom and sis?
(I read your comment on another blog about using libraries, about the material available through a library tho the book might not be on the shelf--excellent point--funny, people will wait a week or more to get a book from Amazon that they pay for--but won't be bothered "ordering" a free book thru the library if they have to wait two days!)
ReplyDeleteAs for the movies--how great is it when you get to take a kid to see a movie, and then find you enjoyed it even more than they did! Happened last for me with "The Incredibles"-- which wound up being my favorite movie of that year!
jen, I have to admit that I wanted to see the TMNT myself, just as I want to see the upcoming flick TRANSFORMERS. Dating myself a bit, but I grew up on those cartoons and like the new versions.
ReplyDelete